|Origin & Designer||[@designer]|
|Crew||7 (Commander, Two Gunners, Two Loaders, Driver & Assistant D|
|Main Armament||1 x 75mm L/31 M2 or M3 Gun & 1 x 37mm L/53 M5 or M6 Gun|
|Elevation||37mm: -7° to +60°.|
75mm: -9° to +20°.
|Turret Traverse||360° (Powered 18/Sec)|
|Secondary Armament||1 x .30 cal M1919A4 Machine Gun (Commanders Cupola).|
1 x .30 cal M1919A4 Machine Gun (Coaxial).
2 x .30 cal M1919A4 Machine Guns (Bow).
|Ammunition Carried||50 x 75mm & 178 x 37mm + 9.200 x .30 cal|
|Combat Weight||27.900 kg|
|Armour||Hull Gun Mantlet: 89mm.|
Upper Hull Front: 51mm.
Lower Hull Front: 51mm.
Upper Hull Sides: 38mm.
Lower Hull Sides: 38mm.
Hull Rear: 38mm.
Hull Top: 25mm.
Hull Bottom: 13mm.
Turret Gun Mantlet: 51mm.
Turret Front: 51mm.
Turret Sides: 51mm.
Turret Rear: 51mm.
Turret Top: 22mm.
|Engine||Continental R975 C1 (Petrol)|
|Transmission||5 Forward & 1 Reverse|
|Maximum Road Range||119 miles (193 km)|
|Maximum Cross Country Range||87 miles (140 km)|
|Maximum Water Range||[@maximum_water_range]|
|Maximum Road Speed||21 mph (34 kph).|
|Maximum Cross Country Speed||16 mph (25 kph)|
|Maximum Water Speed||[@maximum_water_speed]|
Year: January 1942
Year: January 1942
Year: March 1942
New Diesel Engine
Year: June 1942
With Larger Engine.
|Notes||Events in Europe had shown the need for a medium tank mounting a gun of at least 75mm. The M2 was by now obsolete by European standards so work began in finding a new medium. The idea was for a tank mounting a 75mm gun in a fully revolving turret but this was not yet feasible so an interim vehicle was called for. The M3 was designed with two weapons, this was along similar lines to the French Char B and British Churchill. The 75mm was mounted in a side sponson located in the hull, this was fitted with, the 37mm was housed in a fully revolving turret. The chassis of the M2 was designed to carry the new vehicle it also became the first tank to mount a gyro-stabilised main gun.
This also met the demands of the British who needed a battle tank carrying a 75mm gun. They got their wishes and a number of M3s were built to British stands and saw action in the western desert during 1942. The US 1st Armoured Division had a Regiment of M3s when it landed in North Africa during the Torch landings. But by April 1943 the M3 was deemed “Limited Standard” and finally declared obsolete in April 1944, but many went on to serve in other roles such as tank recovery vehicles. Many went on to serve in the Far East with the British 14th army and sent as lend lease to Russia.|