The Russian army went through many changes during World War Two, and the infantry were forced by lack of men and equipment, to alter their organisation as the war went on. In 1941 the standard infantry company was built around three rifle platoons, each containing four infantry sections and one mortar squad. Each section contained eight privates led by a sergeant and a two man LMG team. The mortar squad was led by a corporal and a three man mortar team. The company also had a machine gun platoon which contained two Maxim M1910 machine guns.