The Lewis gun was developed before World War One and was design by American Isaac Lewis. It was not used by US troops but found favour in Europe. It was in Britain were the Lewis gun was manufactured and by late 1915 is was adopted by the British army. The Lewis was finally replaced by the modern Bren in 1938. During the early part of WW2 the Lewis gun was forced into service due to losses in France and was issued to AA detachments and reserve units.