French Self-Propelled Guns

The earliest French self-propelled was a vintage piece that dated from the First World War and mounted a 75mm anti-aircraft gun on a Dion Bouton truck. During the 1930s attempts were made to mount the light 25mm anti-tank gun on a mobile platform, both the Citroen-Kegresse halftrack and Laffly truck were used and these provided mechanised infantry units with a light tank destroyer. The best conversion was the W-15 TCC which mounted the excellent 47mm SA-37 gun, but only around 70 were ready in 1940.