German Armoured Halftracks
In 1935 the German military wanted an armoured vehicle to carry infantry into battle, these vehicles could accompany the panzers and give them infantry support. The chassis used for these vehicles was the Sd.Kfz 11 halftrack which was fitted with an armoured body in which both the crew and a squad of infantry could ride. The first vehicles were issued in 1939 and were designated as Sd.Kfz 251s. The Sd.Kfz 251s was also used for a number of conversions and these variants were used as weapons platforms and communication vehicles. It was designed to carry out in 23 different tasks and came in three models, Ausf A, B and C, in late 1943 a new design was adopted in the shape of the Ausf D and this featured a simplified body which was easier to produce. Another armoured halftrack was introduced in 1941 which was built on the chassis of the Sd.Kfz 10 and this was designed to carry half the number of men then the Sd.Kfz 251. This vehicle was to be issued to armoured reconnaissance battalions and like the Sd.Kfz 251, the 250 was produced to serve in a variety of different roles. It was also altered in 1943 and its body work simplified for construction. Both the Sd.Kfz 250 and Sd.Kfz 251 served on every front until the end of the war.